Skip to main content

Syria struggles to quell deadly Bedouin-Druze clashes in south

 




Sectarian clashes have continued in southern Syria despite an "immediate ceasefire" announced by the country's president.

Reports say that Druze fighters on Saturday pushed out Bedouin gunmen from the city of Suweida - but fighting continued in other parts of the province. This has not been verified by the BBC.

Government forces deployed earlier this week by interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa were blamed for joining in attacks on the Druze. More than 900 people are reported to have been killed in the past week. All sides are accused of atrocities.

The US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, demanded an end to "the rape and slaughter of innocent people" in Syria, in a post on X on Saturday.

Rubio wrote: "If authorities in Damascus want to preserve any chance of achieving a unified, inclusive and peaceful Syria free of ISIS [Islamic State] and of Iranian control they must help end this calamity by using their security forces to prevent ISIS and any other violent jihadists from entering the area and carrying out massacres.

"And they must hold accountable and bring to justice anyone guilty of atrocities including those in their own ranks," the top US diplomat added.


Reuters Armed Bedouin fighters in Suweida province. Photo: 19 July 2025Reuters
Bedouin fighters have reportedly been pushed out of the city of Suweida

On Saturday evening, the Syrian interior ministry said clashes in Suweida had been halted after the intervention of its forces in the city.

Reuters news agency reported that fighting persisted in other parts of Suweida province.

Earlier this week, Israel declared support for the Druze and intervened, hitting government forces and the defence ministry in the capital Damascus.

Sharaa announced a ceasefire on Saturday as Syrian security forces were deployed to Suweida to end the clashes. The deal included a halt to Israeli military strikes and was approved by Israel as part of a US-brokered pact, as long as the Druze citizens were protected.

Government troops have been setting up checkpoints to try to prevent more people joining the fighting. But gunfire was reported inside Suweida earlier on Saturday.

A correspondent for AFP news agency said they had seen armed men looting shops and setting fire to them.

A BBC map showing Suweida and Damascus in Syria, and neighbouring countries Israel, Lebanon and Jordan

Also on Saturday, Israel's foreign minister cast doubt on the renewed pledge by the president to protect minorities and all Syrians.

Suweida's Druze community follows a secretive, unique faith derived from Shia Islam, and distrusts the current government in Damascus. They are a minority in Syria, as well as in neighbouring Israel and Lebanon.

In a social media post, Gideon Saar said it was "very dangerous" to be part of a minority in Syria, and "this has been proven time and again over the past six months".

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pledged to prevent harm to the Druze in Syria because of their ties to those living in Israel.

Watch: How a day of bombing unfolded in Damascus

Long-running tensions between Druze and Bedouin tribes in Suweida erupted into deadly sectarian clashes last Sunday, following the abduction of a Druze merchant on the highway to Damascus.

According to the UK-based Syrian Observatory of Human Rights (SOHR), 940 people have been killed since then.

The ceasefire between Israel and Syria on Friday was announced by US special envoy to Syria Tom Barrack on Friday.

"We call upon Druze, Bedouins, and Sunnis to put down their weapons and together with other minorities build a new and united Syrian identity in peace and prosperity with its neighbours," he said.

The BBC's Middle East correspondent Lina Sinjab, reporting from Syria, said violence towards the Druze has been spreading across the country.

Earlier this week, UN human rights chief Volker Türk said his office had received credible reports indicating widespread violations and abuses during clashes, including summary executions and arbitrary killings in Suweida.

Among the alleged perpetrators were members of the security forces and individuals affiliated with the interim government, as well as local Druze and Bedouin armed elements, Türk said in a statement.

"This bloodshed and the violence must stop," he warned, adding that "those responsible must be held to account".

In his comments on Saturday morning, the Syrian leader said that his government "is committed to protecting all minorities and sects in the country and is proceeding to hold all violators accountable from any party. No-one will escape accountability."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump paves path for private equity and crypto in retirement accounts. Here's what it means for your 401(k)

  Employers would have to decide to offer the plans — and experts anticipate many might be reluctant, as they could be held liable for losses. Aug. 10, 2025, 5:03 PM GMT+6 By  Kayla Steinberg  and  Emily Lorsch Your 401(k) options could change soon. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday to clear the way for Americans to invest their retirement savings in private equity, cryptocurrency, real estate and other alternative assets. It’s a big win for the asset industry — giving financial managers access to some of the  $12.2 trillion in Americans’ 401(k) and related retirement plans . Private assets can also be more lucrative, and the Trump administration said they can give retirement savers more opportunities. “The theoretical benefits are that everyday Americans can invest in a broader menu of companies,” said Robert Brokamp, a financial planning expert at stock market research company The Motley Fool. But there are higher risks — and not ne...

Man who asked ChatGPT about cutting out salt from his diet was hospitalized with hallucinations

  A case report published in a medical journal reported that the 60-year-old man replaced sodium chloride with sodium bromide after consulting the AI bot. The man shared that he had taken it upon himself to conduct a "personal experiment" to eliminate table salt from his diet after reading about its negative health effects. The report said he did this after consulting with ChatGPT. A 60-year-old man spent three weeks being treated at a hospital after replacing table salt with sodium bromide following consultation with a popular artificial intelligence chatbot. Three physicians published a case report on the matter in the Annals of Internal Medicine earlier this month. According to the report, the man had no prior psychiatric history when he arrived at the hospital "expressing concern that his neighbor was poisoning him." The man shared that he had been distilling his own water at home and the report noted he seemed "paranoid" about water he was offer...

32 Palestinians shot dead trying to reach U.S. group's food distribution sites, Gaza authorities say

  Amid widespread hunger and a collapsing aid system, Palestinians continue to risk their lives for food. July 19, 2025, 9:44 PM GMT+6  / Source:  The Associated Press By  The Associated Press DEIR AL BALAH, Gaza Strip — Israeli troops opened fire Saturday toward crowds of Palestinians seeking food from  distribution hubs run by a U.S. - and Israeli-backed group in southern Gaza, killing at least 32 people, according to witnesses and hospital officials. The shootings occurred near hubs operated by the  Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which launched operations in May . The U.S. and Israel seek to replace the traditional U.N.-led aid distribution system in Gaza, asserting that Hamas militants siphon off supplies. The U.N. denies the allegation. While the GHF says it has distributed millions of meals to hungry Palestinians, local health officials and witnesses say that Israeli army fire has  killed hundreds of people as they try to reach the hubs . GH...