Skip to main content

Flight attendant gets 18.5 years after recording girls in airplane bathroom

 A flight attendant accused of secretly filming young girls in airplane lavatories has been sentenced to just under 20 years in prison



BOSTON -- A flight attendant accused of taping his cellphone to the lid of an airplane toilet to secretly film young girls was sentenced to just under 20 years in prison Wednesday.

Former American Airlines flight attendant Estes Carter Thompson III received a sentence of 18.5 years, followed by five years of supervised release. Boston U.S. District Court Judge Julia Kobick called his behavior “appalling" and said child victims' “innocence has been lost” because of his actions.

Thompson was arrested and charged in January 2024 in Lynchburg, Virginia, after authorities said a 14-year-old girl on his flight discovered his secret recording setup in the lavatory. He was indicted last year on one count of attempted sexual exploitation of children and one count of possession of child sexual abuse images depicting a prepubescent minor.

He apologized in court Wednesday, describing his actions as “selfish, perverse and wrong.”

Police alleged Thompson, of Charlotte, North Carolina, had recordings of four other girls between the ages of 7 and 14 using aircraft lavatories over a 9-month period.

In a sentencing memorandum submitted in court, U.S. government attorneys said Thompson “robbed five young girls of their innocence and belief in the goodness of the world and the people they would encounter in it, instead leaving them with fear, mistrust, insecurity, and sadness.”

Thompson, who will serve his sentence at FMC Butner in North Carolina, intends to undergo sex offender-specific treatment, his attorneys said. A lawyer for Thompson said via email Wednesday he wouldn’t be commenting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump paves path for private equity and crypto in retirement accounts. Here's what it means for your 401(k)

  Employers would have to decide to offer the plans — and experts anticipate many might be reluctant, as they could be held liable for losses. Aug. 10, 2025, 5:03 PM GMT+6 By  Kayla Steinberg  and  Emily Lorsch Your 401(k) options could change soon. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday to clear the way for Americans to invest their retirement savings in private equity, cryptocurrency, real estate and other alternative assets. It’s a big win for the asset industry — giving financial managers access to some of the  $12.2 trillion in Americans’ 401(k) and related retirement plans . Private assets can also be more lucrative, and the Trump administration said they can give retirement savers more opportunities. “The theoretical benefits are that everyday Americans can invest in a broader menu of companies,” said Robert Brokamp, a financial planning expert at stock market research company The Motley Fool. But there are higher risks — and not ne...

Man who asked ChatGPT about cutting out salt from his diet was hospitalized with hallucinations

  A case report published in a medical journal reported that the 60-year-old man replaced sodium chloride with sodium bromide after consulting the AI bot. The man shared that he had taken it upon himself to conduct a "personal experiment" to eliminate table salt from his diet after reading about its negative health effects. The report said he did this after consulting with ChatGPT. A 60-year-old man spent three weeks being treated at a hospital after replacing table salt with sodium bromide following consultation with a popular artificial intelligence chatbot. Three physicians published a case report on the matter in the Annals of Internal Medicine earlier this month. According to the report, the man had no prior psychiatric history when he arrived at the hospital "expressing concern that his neighbor was poisoning him." The man shared that he had been distilling his own water at home and the report noted he seemed "paranoid" about water he was offer...

32 Palestinians shot dead trying to reach U.S. group's food distribution sites, Gaza authorities say

  Amid widespread hunger and a collapsing aid system, Palestinians continue to risk their lives for food. July 19, 2025, 9:44 PM GMT+6  / Source:  The Associated Press By  The Associated Press DEIR AL BALAH, Gaza Strip — Israeli troops opened fire Saturday toward crowds of Palestinians seeking food from  distribution hubs run by a U.S. - and Israeli-backed group in southern Gaza, killing at least 32 people, according to witnesses and hospital officials. The shootings occurred near hubs operated by the  Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which launched operations in May . The U.S. and Israel seek to replace the traditional U.N.-led aid distribution system in Gaza, asserting that Hamas militants siphon off supplies. The U.N. denies the allegation. While the GHF says it has distributed millions of meals to hungry Palestinians, local health officials and witnesses say that Israeli army fire has  killed hundreds of people as they try to reach the hubs . GH...