Skip to main content

Exclusive: New York gunman was flagged by security camera system before attack, sources say

 


A man holding a rifle walks into an office building at 345 Park Avenue shortly before a shooting that killed several people, in the Midtown Manhattan district of New York City, U.S. July 28, 2025, in a still image taken from surveillance video. Surveillance Camera/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK, July 29 (Reuters) - Cameras at 345 Park Avenue flagged an approaching gunman on Monday as a potential threat that required immediate attention, seconds before he burst into the office skyscraper's lobby and began firing, according to two former federal officials familiar with New York building security systems.
A still frame of CCTV footage obtained by Reuters and timestamped 6:26:52 p.m. ET – just over a minute before police received the first emergency call about the mass shooting - shows a man holding an assault-style rifle at his side. A computer-generated bright yellow box around him in the image indicates the use of software that analyzes live video feeds for threats requiring instant action, the former federal officials said.
he details about the system, which have not previously been reported, raise questions about whether the gunman could have been thwarted before his attack, the officials said. Rudin Management, the real estate company that owns the tower, declined to comment on the camera system and whether it prompted any immediate actions from security staff.
Police have identified the shooter as Shane Tamura, 27, a Las Vegas resident with a history of mental illness. He killed two security officers, including a police officer working on a paid security detail, a Rudin employee and an investment firm executive before taking his own life.
The yellow box surrounding the shooter as he walked toward the entrance was meant to alert guards at the front security desk, the former officials said.
Michael Dorn, executive director of Safe Havens International, which advises schools on how to protect themselves from active shooters, said that even with such a video system in place, the threat still needs to be relayed to the building's occupants immediately by the security staff.
"You can't automate this away," said Dorn, a former anti-terrorism adviser to the Georgia Department of Homeland Security and an expert on mass casualty events.
Experts said some systems allow security guards to initiate an immediate lockdown of external doors, elevators and other access points.
Matthew Dumpert, global leader of enterprise security risk management at financial and risk advisory firm Kroll, said the attack - the city's deadliest mass shooting in decades - prompted clients to call with questions about how to protect themselves from similar attacks. The reaction is reminiscent of the aftermath of the killing in December of United Healthcare executive Brian Thompson in Manhattan, when several companies enhanced executive protection in response.
"It takes significant resources, alarms to notify people, training to recognize it, physical security elements like locks to lock down facilities and prevent somebody from having free flow access through a facility," Dumpert said.
Glen Kucera, president of Allied Universal, a global security firm, also was fielding calls from clients on Tuesday.
"The only way to have avoided this was to keep the shooter outside, which is very difficult," Kucera said, adding it was clear the gunman intended to cause harm and not survive the encounter, which made him the most difficult kind of the threat to stop.
The security systems at 345 Park Avenue were typical of high-end offices in New York, according to Dave Komendat, senior security advisor at the risk mitigation firm International SOS.
While the lobby is open to the public, as in most buildings, visitors check in at security desks to access the elevators, which are behind turnstiles. Rudin's offices, where the gunman killed himself, has bathrooms that doubled as bulletproof safe rooms, likely saving lives, Mayor Eric Adams said.
Numerous companies have implemented enhanced security for the rest of the week following the shooting, including additional guards, according to the Partnership for New York City, which represents more than 300 banks, investment firms and other companies in the city.

Reporting by Jana Winter and Jim Oliphant in Washington, and Sami Marshak, Saeed Azhar and Isla Binnie in New York; Writing and additional reporting by Joseph Ax; Editing by Donna Bryson, Scott Malone and Daniel Wallis

Comments

  1. USA News refers to news and current events coverage focused on the United States — including politics, economy, business, technology, health, culture, and national events. It keeps audiences informed about developments happening across the country, from updates on government and policy decisions in Washington, D.C., to stories impacting local communities. USA News is often delivered through newspapers, television, websites, and other media outlets, providing timely reporting, analysis, and perspectives on issues shaping life in America. USA News

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trump paves path for private equity and crypto in retirement accounts. Here's what it means for your 401(k)

  Employers would have to decide to offer the plans — and experts anticipate many might be reluctant, as they could be held liable for losses. Aug. 10, 2025, 5:03 PM GMT+6 By  Kayla Steinberg  and  Emily Lorsch Your 401(k) options could change soon. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday to clear the way for Americans to invest their retirement savings in private equity, cryptocurrency, real estate and other alternative assets. It’s a big win for the asset industry — giving financial managers access to some of the  $12.2 trillion in Americans’ 401(k) and related retirement plans . Private assets can also be more lucrative, and the Trump administration said they can give retirement savers more opportunities. “The theoretical benefits are that everyday Americans can invest in a broader menu of companies,” said Robert Brokamp, a financial planning expert at stock market research company The Motley Fool. But there are higher risks — and not ne...

Man who asked ChatGPT about cutting out salt from his diet was hospitalized with hallucinations

  A case report published in a medical journal reported that the 60-year-old man replaced sodium chloride with sodium bromide after consulting the AI bot. The man shared that he had taken it upon himself to conduct a "personal experiment" to eliminate table salt from his diet after reading about its negative health effects. The report said he did this after consulting with ChatGPT. A 60-year-old man spent three weeks being treated at a hospital after replacing table salt with sodium bromide following consultation with a popular artificial intelligence chatbot. Three physicians published a case report on the matter in the Annals of Internal Medicine earlier this month. According to the report, the man had no prior psychiatric history when he arrived at the hospital "expressing concern that his neighbor was poisoning him." The man shared that he had been distilling his own water at home and the report noted he seemed "paranoid" about water he was offer...

32 Palestinians shot dead trying to reach U.S. group's food distribution sites, Gaza authorities say

  Amid widespread hunger and a collapsing aid system, Palestinians continue to risk their lives for food. July 19, 2025, 9:44 PM GMT+6  / Source:  The Associated Press By  The Associated Press DEIR AL BALAH, Gaza Strip — Israeli troops opened fire Saturday toward crowds of Palestinians seeking food from  distribution hubs run by a U.S. - and Israeli-backed group in southern Gaza, killing at least 32 people, according to witnesses and hospital officials. The shootings occurred near hubs operated by the  Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which launched operations in May . The U.S. and Israel seek to replace the traditional U.N.-led aid distribution system in Gaza, asserting that Hamas militants siphon off supplies. The U.N. denies the allegation. While the GHF says it has distributed millions of meals to hungry Palestinians, local health officials and witnesses say that Israeli army fire has  killed hundreds of people as they try to reach the hubs . GH...